Sep 02, 2014
A variety of events in September will celebrate the release of the Finger Lakes' 200-plus Rieslings.
Dinners, online chats and tastings are among the events, which will be held from New York City to Erie County. The Finger Lakes Riesling Launch events are sponsored by the Finger Lakes Wine Alliance and its 19 member wineries.
The Riesling Launch Harvest Celebration at Sheldrake Point Winery will kick off the launch. Artisans will sell their wares, and 2013 Riesling tastings will be offered. The winery is at 7448 County Road 153, Ovid, Seneca County.
Online, media and eight Finger Lakes wineries will discuss Rieslings from 9 to 10 p.m. Sept. 10 on Twitter using the hash tag #winechat. The month will conclude with Finger Lakes Riesling Hour, a conversation from 7 to 9 p.m. Sept. 27 between fans and wineries. On Facebook, tag @Finger Lakes Wine; on Twitter and Instagram, use the hash tag #flxwine.
Other events include:
• Sept. 13, 6 p.m. Chef Brud Holland, owner of Finger Lakes Made, will prepare a five-course dinner pairing with Fox Run Vineyards' Rieslings. The 2013 Silvan Riesling, which will be released during the dinner and is new to the winery, is a dry, barrel-fermented Riesling. Tickets cost $85 plus tax and tip for the dinner at Fox Run Vineyards, 670 Route 14, Penn Yan, Yates County. For reservations, call (800) 636-9786 or email email@example.com. For the menu, go to foxrunvineyards.com.
• Sept. 19, 6 p.m. A four-course meal at the Gould Hotel will be paired with Rieslings from Wagner Vineyards, Hosmer Winery, Lamoreaux Landing Wine Cellars and Dr. Konstantin Frank Vinifera Wine Cellars. The cost is $60, including tax and tip. For reservations, call (315) 712-4000. The hotel is at 108 Fall St., Seneca Falls.
• Sept. 5, 4 to 7 p.m., tastings of 2013 Sheldrake Point Rieslings. Northside Wine & Spirits, 7448 County Road 153, Ovid, Seneca County.
• Sept. 5, 5 to 7 p.m., tastings of 2013 Rieslings from Knapp Winery and Glenora Wine Cellars. Bombace Wine & Spirits, 6081 Route 96, Farmington, Ontario County.
• Sept. 12, 5 to 7 p.m., tastings of 2013 Rieslings from Swedish Hill Winery. Bombace Wine & Spirits, 6081 Route 96, Farmington, Ontario County.
• Sept. 12, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., tastings of 2013 Rieslings from Knapp Winery. The Gould Hotel, 108 Fall St., Seneca Falls.
• Sept. 13, noon to 3 p.m., tastings of Swedish Hill Winery's 2013 Riesling and 2012 Marechal Foch. Premium Wine & Spirits, 7980 Transit Road, Williamsville, Erie County.
• Sept. 19, 3 to 6 p.m., tastings of Swedish Hill's 2013 Dry Riesling, 2013 Riesling, Blue Waters Riesling and Riesling Cuvée. Marketview Liquor, 1100 Jefferson Road, Henrietta.
• Sept. 20, 1 to 4 p.m., tastings of Swedish Hill Winery's 2013 Blue Waters Riesling. Chili Liquor Store, 3218 Chili Ave.
• Sept. 20, 3 to 6 p.m., tastings of Wagner Vineyards wines. Triphammer Wines & Spirits, 2255 N. Triphammer Road, Ithaca.
• Sept. 20, 5 to 7 p.m., tastings of 2013 Rieslings from Dr. Konstantin Frank Vinifera Wine Cellars. Bombace Wine & Spirits, 6081 Route 96, Farmington, Ontario County.
• Sept. 26, 4 to 7 p.m., tastings of Swedish Hill Rieslings. Ryan's Wines and Spirits, 73 Eastern Blvd., Canandaigua.