Taste Wine Responsibly
We hope you enjoy your visit to the Cayuga Lake Wine Trail. To make your experience safe and enjoyable, we recommend the following guidelines:
• Eat a hearty breakfast before starting your day and drink plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated. Bringing snacks is also recommended.
• Take your time when tasting each wine. If you do not want to finish the rest of a wine, buckets are provided for spitting or dumping.
• Choose a realistic number of wineries to visit in a day. Four to six wineries in one day is typical, allowing you to learn something about each winery and sample quite a few wines – without your palette experiencing “taster’s fatigue.” Try visiting three wineries before lunch and three wineries after lunch.
• Be safe and always have a designated driver. Take advantage of the many transportation services available the area. Reservations are required prior to any visit for large groups of 8 or more.
• Over-imbibers will not be served, even if you’re not driving. The wineries have no choice – it’s the law.
• Stay overnight to make the most of your visit. From a quaint bed and breakfast to a vibrant four-star hotel, there are a wide variety of accommodations to choose from.
Wine Tasting Tips
Wine tasting can seem intimidating, but it’s really just a relaxing way to spend the day discovering the passion created by the local vintners.
• Tasting rooms are open year-round and close only on a few major holidays. Most are open from 10am to 5pm.
• Usually tasting includes between 4 and 6 wines starting with lighter white wines through reds and finally dessert wines. Some wines, such as ice wines, are available to taste for an additional fee.
• Wineries can offer up to twenty wines. Most provide tasting notes describing their wines to help you distinguish different flavors and aromas. Making notes about each wine helps you decide which ones to bring home.
• Wineries offer tastings as a service to help guests select their favorites. It is in good taste to purchase wine during your visit.